A decade later, Francis Scott, the 2nd Earl of Buccleuch (1626-1651), and his brother David, were also students at St Andrews in 1636-38, playing golf and doing archery.They were attended by their servant Patrick Scott, who rendered detailed accounts of the dozens golf balls that they used up.The first noted student golfer at St Andrews is in about 1574, when golf 'club and balls' are recorded in the diaries of James Melville.He studied Theology there from 1571 to 1574, though he is listed in the roll of entrants to his college in 1569.Between 17, the three sons of John Mackenzie, a lawyer and the Laird of Delvine in Perthshire also spent money of golf clubs and balls.Intriguingly, the clubs and balls bought for Alexander Mackenzie, the eldest son, cost twice as much as those bought for his two younger twin brothers Kenneth and Thomas.
These rights were confirmed in subsequent local and royal charters.
Although, St Andrews was always well known as a golf-ball manufacturing centre, club making appears to have been more sporadic until 1819 when Hugh Philp began supplying the Royal and Ancient Golf Club.
Until then they had been paying Peter Mc Ewan for over a decade to travel from Bruntsfield in Edinburgh.
His father was Minister in Maryton, near Montrose, where he was taught golf at school.
While at St Andrews, Melville was provided with he 'necessars' (necessaries) for 'archerie and golf'.