It was completed by Dewsbury and Walthews at a cost of £20,000 (£44,800 if the price of acquiring the land is included) and opened in February 12, 1835 and contained 600 market stalls.The building was grand and the façade consisted of stone mined from Bath in Somerset.The earliest known building for public meetings in the town which has any architectural record is the High Cross which stood within the Bull Ring.The last known construction work completed to it was in 1703 before being demolished in 1784.Demolition of these properties began slowly however after the Act of 1801, the speed of demolition increased and by 1810, all properties in the area had been cleared as according to the 1810 Map of Birmingham by Kempson.During the clearance, small streets such as The Shambles, Cock (or Well) Street and Corn Cheaping, which had existed before the Bull Ring, were removed.Despite being overcrowded and cramped, many houses on the street had gardens as indicated by an advertisement for a residential property in 1798.Houses were constructed close to St Martin's Church, eventually encircling it. On a map produced by Westley in 1731, other markets had developed nearby including food, cattle and corn markets with other markets located nearby on the High Street.
Construction of the Market Hall, designed by Charles Edge (an architect of Birmingham Town Hall), began in February 1833.
The slope drops approximately 15 metres (49.2 ft) from New Street to St Martin's Church. It houses one of only four Selfridges department stores and the largest Debenhams outside of London.
Consequently, the centre has been a huge success, attracting custom from all over the world, including New York.
It was decided by the Street Commissioners that a sheltered market hall was needed.
They bought the market rights from the lord of the manor and by 1832, all properties on site had been purchased, with exception of two, the owners of which demanding a higher price.